Where can I keep my medications at Boys State?
Medications can be kept with the delegate in his dorm room. No medication needs to be turned into headquarters. If any special medication requirements are needed please contact Milton Robinson at [email protected].
Will the program accommodate any special diet requests?
Yes, the University of Mississippi’s Rebel Market Dining Facility can accommodate any special diet (vegetarian, gluten-free, etc.). Any further requests can be asked of the university’s dining staff when on campus.
How much free time will I have?
We keep you busy pretty much the whole week. Meals are considered “free time.” “Lights Out” is set at 10:30pm, but due to some events this may be pushed back. You may think this is too early, but at the end of each day, you will be tired. At 6:30am, everybody is up and preparing for breakfast which is at 7:00am in the cafeteria.
What sports will be played?
Beginning on Monday of the program, there will be an athletic period each afternoon. Monday is a field-day competition between cities. Tuesday through Friday has competitions of basketball, dodgeball, kickball, quiz bowl, and flag football. Every delegate is required to participate for their city in a variety of sporting events.
Where will we be staying?
The University of Mississippi hosts our lodging in the Residential Dorms 2 and 3. Linens and pillows are not provided by the program or university.
Do I need to bring a laptop?
It is not required to bring a laptop. Some delegates in the past have brought theirs to work in the media program, city projects, and other various programming. The Boys State program and University of Mississippi are not liable for personal belongings brought to the program.
What do I need to pack?
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Comb or Brush
- Soap, Shampoo, Toiletries, Towels, and Washcloths
- Sheets, Blanket, Pillow, and Pillowcase (twin size)
- At least 3 pairs of shorts (6 pairs are better)
- At least 3 T-shirts and/or golf-style shirts
- 7 pairs of socks (more always recommended; athletic-style socks are best)
- 7 pairs of underwear (more always recommended)
- Clothes and shoes for athletics
Other things you might want:
- Water Bottle
- Athletic/Sports Equipment (don’t go overboard)
- Band instrument (Memorial Day Service and Talent Show)
- Spending money ($40 will be plenty)